Facebook on Monday stated it deliberate to restrict posts that comprise misinformation and hate speech associated to the trial of Derek Chauvin, the previous Minneapolis police officer charged with the homicide of George Floyd, to maintain them from spilling over into real-world hurt.
As closing arguments started within the trial and Minneapolis braced for a verdict, Facebook stated it will determine and take away posts on the social community that urged folks to deliver arms to the town. It additionally stated it will defend members of Mr. Floyd’s household from harassment and take down content material that praised, celebrated or mocked his demise.
“We know this trial has been painful for many people,” Monika Bickert, Facebook’s vice chairman of content material coverage, wrote in a weblog put up. “We want to strike the right balance between allowing people to speak about the trial and what the verdict means, while still doing our part to protect everyone’s safety.”
Facebook, which has lengthy positioned itself as a web site for free speech, has grow to be more and more proactive in policing content material which may result in real-world violence. The Silicon Valley firm has been below fireplace for years over the best way it has dealt with delicate information occasions. That consists of final 12 months’s presidential election, when on-line misinformation about voter fraud galvanized supporters of former President Donald J. Trump. Believing the election to have been stolen from Mr. Trump, some supporters stormed the Capitol constructing on Jan. 6.
Leading up to the election, Facebook took steps to fight misinformation, foreign interference and voter suppression. The company displayed warnings on more than 150 million posts with election misinformation, removed more than 120,000 posts for violating its voter interference policies and took down 30 networks that posted false messages about the election.
But critics said Facebook and other social media platforms did not do enough. After the storming of the Capitol, the social network stopped Mr. Trump from being able to post on the site. The company’s independent oversight board is now debating whether the former president will be allowed back on Facebook and has said it plans to issue its decision “in the coming weeks,” without giving a definite date.
The death of Mr. Floyd, who was Black, led to a wave of Black Lives Matter protests across the nation last year. Mr. Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer who is white, faces charges of manslaughter, second-degree murder and third-degree murder for Mr. Floyd’s death. The trial began in late March. Mr. Chauvin did not testify.
Facebook said on Monday that it had determined that Minneapolis was, at least temporarily, “a high-risk location.” It said it would remove pages, groups, events and Instagram accounts that violated its violence and incitement policy; take down attacks against Mr. Chauvin and Mr. Floyd; and label misinformation and graphic content as sensitive.
The company did not have any further comment.
“As the trial comes to a close, we will continue doing our part to help people safely connect and share what they are experiencing,” Ms. Bickert said in the blog post.